Hi, I’m Olivia Gyapong, and I’m in charge of the Blake Beat’s significant digits column, Stats and Stripes. Check this column for the numbers impacting our Bengal community!
- ½: We’re halfway through the first quarter! Interims are arriving soon.
- 1 millimeter: It was reported last week that the new and improved 001/B Ocean Cleanup System, pioneered by Dutchman Boyan Slat, is able to capture and hold pieces of waste as small as 1 millimeter. Slat tweeted that everything from tires to microplastics from the Great Pacific Garbage Patch are being trapped in the system’s net. USA Today reports that the device’s progress is so promising that a second one is being designed.
- 2 hours, 50 minutes: The amount of time a bull was running loose through the streets of Baltimore, Oct. 2. The Black Angus bull, known as No. 33, broke loose from his cattle trailer as it drove through the city on the way back to his Frederick farm. No. 33 made his way onto the campus of Coppin State University (which did not cancel classes) and into a residential area. A vet called in from the Maryland Zoo tranquilized No. 33 after he was located. This is not the first time this has happened in Baltimore.
- 7: Number of Blake students receiving letters of commendation from Principal Sinclair for their high 2018 PSAT scores. Alina Kim, Emily Smith, Katie Brockmeyer, Logan Delavan-Hoover, Maia Brandolini, Joel Zinkievich, and Joseph Lee are being commended today. Check the Blake Beat website soon for a full story on these seven stellar students.
- 9: There is no school this Wednesday, Oct 9, as it is Yom Kippur. Happy Yom Kippur to the Bengals celebrating.
- 27: Former President and First Lady Barack and Michelle Obama celebrated their 27th wedding anniversary last week. They commemorated the event with a series of social media posts featuring pictures from some of their favorite vacations. They were married October 3, 1992 in Chicago.
- 158: Season low score shot by the golf team at the 2019 Division Championships, clinching them the title of Division Champions. They’ve finished their regular season with an impressive 17-1 record.